- Bodily autonomy is the most important argument because it’s bulletproof, really. Bodily autonomy is an unwritten law that says no one can use your body without your consent, which is why (most) humans automatically understand why rape is wrong and why you have to be an organ donor in life for your organs to be taken after your death. Fetuses do not have bodily autonomy because they are not autonomous. Anti-choicers sometimes try to derail at this point and accuse you of ableism, because many disabled people are dependent on others. It is important to remind them that disabled people are still autonomous, because they don’t live inside the body of another person and suck up their nutrients. If abortion is illegal, dead people will officially have more rights than pregnant people (because a dead person’s organs can’t be used if they aren’t an organ donor).
- Outlawing abortion will not stop abortion, but make it less safe. As high as 1.2 million people died attempting unsafe and illegal abortions between 1880 and 1973, and thousands more were injured[x]. Abortions are going to happen no matter what, so if anti-choicers really care about pregnant people, they had better simmer down and let abortion be.
- Fetuses cannot feel and do not have a sense of mortal danger. There are no detectable brain waves that would translate to pain or fear until 28 weeks. An abortion after 28 weeks only happens under special circumstances, and the fetus is euthanized before a 3rd-trimester abortion, meaning it feels none of the abortion
- A heartbeat does not make something alive. There is this thing called Electroencephalography (EEG), which records brain activity. If someone has no EEG activity, they are declared brain dead. Some say that fetuses don’t have brainwaves detectable by EEG until a certain point, while some say they don’t at all until birth.
- Life does not equal personhood. The biological definition of life is something that is made of cells and has the ability to grow and reproduce. Animals are alive. Trees are alive. Bacteria are alive. Are they people? No.
- Many anti-choicers claim that legal abortion in the First World is dangerous, which is not true. Not only is legal abortion safe, here are some things that are unsafe: inducing miscarriage with drugs without physician discretion, placing foreign objects up the vagina to induce miscarriage, douching with harsh chemicals, ingesting chemicals to induce miscarriage, and self-inflicted trauma to the abdomen caused by punching/falling/etc. (all methods of abortion pre-Roe). Many doctors agree that surgical abortion by the cut-off date is easier than wisdom teeth extraction, and very early abortions are more difficult to mess up than a tooth extraction. Pregnancy and childbirth are actually more dangerous than legal surgical abortion. Every minute in the US, at least one person dies from a complication related to pregnancy/childbirth, which is 287,000 a year[x]. Even more get sick or injured from these complications, about 10 million per year[x]. Approximately 400 people have died from abortion since Roe v. Wade ruling, which means 400 people in 40 years dead from legal abortion compared to approximately 11,767,000 dead from pregnancy/childbirth. Pregnancy/childbirth has killed over 27,000 times more people than legal abortion.
- Adoption is not always the answer. Adoption does not make someone unpregnant, and they still have to go through the agony of pregnancy (if you don’t want to be pregnant, it can be truly agonizing) for 9 months. Also, adoption isn’t even the best for the fetus. Being put up for adoption can lead to catastrophe for many children, and there are already so many children waiting to be adopted.
- A tiring argument from anti-choicers is that abortion is “racist” because PoC get abortions more than white people. First of all, the people who argue this are putting all this money into shaming people out of abortions when they could be making donations to help fix the socioeconomic gap between Black/Latin@ and white people, so they have no place to talk about abortion being racist. Secondly, if abortion is racist, so is adoption! Look at this:
Who in their right mind would shame a Black person out of their abortion, telling them to choose adoption instead, knowing that the child probably won’t be adopted outside of a pre-planned adoption?
- A lot of anti-choicers will claim that sex is only for pro-creation, therefore it’s only fair to punish people for having sex with an unwanted pregnancy. This actually isn’t true. If human sex were only for procreation, the clitoris would not exist.
- I’ve experienced a lot of anti-choicers claiming elective abortion based on fetal abnormality/disability is ableist, which is pretty ironic of them to say considering not everyone who can get pregnant is fit to be pregnant and have a child (often due to disabilities), but anti-choicers think they should be forced to no matter what. That is ableist.
- Right to life does not trump everything else. If an anti-choicer claims it does, be sure to ask them why they haven’t donated one of their kidneys, a few lung lobes, bone marrow, blood, liver pieces, etc., because everyone deserves to live more than each person deserves rights over their own body, right?
- "Women deserve better." A bit cissexist, but, yes, pregnant people do deserve better (link).
- Abortion is a constitutional right (in the US)! It isn’t written explicitly in the US Constitution, but the Supreme Court declared it a constitutional right under Amendments 1, 3, 4, 5, 9, and 14 during Roe v. Wade.
- If an anti-choicer compares abortion rates to genocide, be sure to define genocide for them. Genocide is targeting and deliberately killing a specific group. The Holocaust was Jewish people, the Rwandan Genocide was the Tutsis, and, in Colonial US, it was Native Americans. Fetuses are not aborted for one discriminatory reason. Abortion is not genocide because no specific group is deliberately killing fetuses because they are fetuses. People don’t get pregnant and say, “Ew, a fetus, kill it.” Also, remind them that, if abortion were the monstrosity they claim it is, they wouldn’t have to compare it to something else (the Holocaust, African slavery, etc.) to get their point across. We don’t compare 9/11 or the Holocaust to anything else because people automatically understand how bad they are when they are explained, without comparisons.
- Anti-choice beliefs are misogynistic. Even for pregnant people who don’t identify as women, anti-abortion movements against them are a form of misogyny because they are basically being punished for having the parts necessary for pregnancy(vagina, uterus, etc.). When you tell someone they shouldn’t be able to abort a pregnancy, you are also telling them they don’t have or deserve control over their body. You’re saying a being with no sentience has more rights over this person because they are the one with the vagina (notice, the penis in the situation still has control over their body), which is misogyny. Suggesting that a person not get an abortion also suggests that pregnancy and childbirth aren’t that bad. When you call the pregnant person wanting an abortion a murderer, and don’t say anything to the penis-person who may or may not have played a part in the decision, you are being a misogynist.
- Abortion occurs in nature. When a nonhuman animal is pregnant at a bad time, they will electively abort. Some animals eat poisonous plants, and some even walk through spaces too small for them to crush the fetus. All so they won’t give birth to a baby they can’t feed.
- Elective abortion is a maternal instinct. Some anti-choicers vocally wonder why people can have abortions, saying it conflicts with maternal instincts, but, if you look at nonhuman animals and why they abort, you see that abortion is maternal instinct, to save a child from being born unwanted/very sick. Also, that’s a sexist thing to say because not everyone with a vagina has a proper maternal instinct, or child abuse by mothers would never happen.
- Even if someone will not let the idea go that abortion is murder, it’s justifiable homicide, self-defense. Having something inside of you that you don’t want in there is a medical urgency. When that thing is violating your bodily autonomy, it is self-defense to kill it.
- Abortion does not cause breast cancer. All studies that say so show a correlation, but no evidence of cause, and the studies are very specific to certain type of women (same race and age).
Green Day lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong wrote this about his father, who died of cancer on September 1st, 1982. At his father’s funeral, Billie cried, ran home and locked himself in his room. When his mother got home and knocked on the door to Billie’s room, Billie simply said, “Wake me up when September ends.”
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — An Oklahoma City police officer was charged Friday with 16 counts including first-degree rape and sexual battery after being accused of assaulting at least eight women while on patrol.
Daniel Holtzclaw, 27, also faces charges of forcible oral sodomy and indecent exposure. Holtzclaw, a former standout football player in high school and college, was arrested Aug. 21. He remained in custody on a $5 million cash bond Friday, according to jail records.
He is accused of stopping women, who were all black and between the ages of 34 and 58, while on duty in Oklahoma City. Prosecutors allege that he raped two women and either fondled others or forced them to expose themselves, and police said there may be more victims.
"Former standout football player in high school and college"
"He only assaulted older Black women"
*39 people raise over $7,000 to defend him*
Alternatively titled: how we discuss and treat white male criminals (rapists) in the United States
I hope this is true
at least you asked the cutie b4 touching the booty
down with it if u r
Protect autistic people but especially autistic kids and especially especially autistic kids of colour because you know they will not be treated fairly and you know people will accuse them of disrespect when all they’re doing is trying to make sense of an interaction where someone is out to attack them for no apparent reason
Inglourious Basterds (2009) dir.Quentin Tarantino
what the fuck kind of dumbass white bullshit is this